When a out of state vendor is charging you tax, you should make sure they're legally charging the correct tax.
1. They might be flat-out lying and charging you tax, with the plan to pocket the money (they're evil)
2. They might be charging the wrong state's tax (they're messed up)
You probably won't get credit from the state if this happens.
To prevent this:
1. Ask the vendor which state's tax they're charging
2. Check the rate to make sure they're charging the correct rate
3. Ask for proof they're registered in the state.
Here's a recent link to a discussion that should show you why
The Sales Tax Guy
See the disclaimer on the right.
Don't forget our upcoming seminars and webinars.
and there's more sales tax news and links here http://salestaxnews.blogspot.com