Monday, November 09, 2009

Sales and Use Tax News

These are gleanings from newsletters, etc. I have not included all of the events, nor have I provided much detail. As usual, the disclaimer applies - check this kind of thing out yourself. I just want to give you a heads-up.

Michigan

They've explained the rules for food.
Michigan Revenue Administrative Bulletin 2009-8, 10/21/2009 , replacing Michigan Revenue Administrative Bulletin 2002-20, 12/10/2002

Connecticut

The rate reduction previously announced may not happen depending on the state's deficit this year.

Missouri

No use tax for free flu shots.
Missouri Private Letter Ruling LR 5900, 09/29/2009

And Missouri opened up a can of chakras by saying that sales tax applies to participation fees in yoga classes. Some are saying it's a tax on religion. I have only one question. When I go to church, I don't pay a required fee to attend. But if I go to a yoga class, I do pay a fee. That's the difference. And no, I won't be going to any yoga classes anytime soon. My chakras are just fine, thank you. Sabrix, Google/AP and more

North Carolina

New rules for state government purchases. Most purchases exempt now.
17 NCAC § 7B.1701, effective 10/01/2009

Local rate increases

Arizona
Georgia
Missouri
Ohio
Utah
Washington

Sales Tax Guy

See disclaimer and research the issues thoroughly before making decisions

Here's information on our upcoming seminars and webinars And we do coaching!

And please don't forget to visit our advertisers!

No comments: